Protect Your Vision as You Age
Glaucoma and macular degeneration are common eye conditions that cause vision loss, affecting people as they age.
While glaucoma and macular degeneration have their similarities, they are very different conditions that require separate treatments.
At Royal Vista Eyecare , we can detect signs of these conditions during an eye exam. Once we reach a proper diagnosis, we can recommend a number of treatment options to help improve your eye health.
Learn More About Glaucoma
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that sometimes occurs when the pressure inside of your eyes (intraocular pressure, or IOP) increases. When this happens, it can progressively damage the optic nerve and nerve tissues, resulting in irreversible vision loss.
Types of Glaucoma
There are 2 main types of glaucoma:
- Open-Angle Glaucoma can occur when the drainage angle in your eye becomes clogged, which increases IOP. Over time, a high IOP damages the optic nerve enough to cause vision loss.
- Angle-Closure Glaucoma, also called narrow-angle glaucoma, occurs when the drainage angle narrows, which can cause a sudden increase in IOP. Due to how quickly this form of glaucoma progresses it requires immediate attention.
How We Measure & Diagnose Glaucoma
We use a number of technologies to help measure corneal thickness and intraocular pressure in order to diagnose glaucoma.
At Royal Vista Eyecare we use:
While glaucoma can’t be reversed, there are several methods we use at Royal Vista Eyecare to manage your symptoms and slow the progression of vision loss. These include:
Learn More About Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration, sometimes called age-related macular degeneration (AMD), is a progressive eye condition that results in a loss of central vision, caused by aging.
Types of Macular Degeneration
There are 2 forms of AMD:
Macular Degeneration Treatment
If your optometrist diagnoses you with either form of AMD, they may recommend any of the following treatments:
- Laser therapy
- Low vision aids
- Vitamin supplements
- Lifestyle modifications
Protect Your Eyes & Preserve Your Vision
For both macular degeneration and glaucoma, regular eye exams are an essential step to preventing vision loss and protecting your eyes from damage.
Book an eye exam at Royal Vista Eyecare today to safeguard your eye health.
Royal Vista Eyecare is located in Royal Oak Place, which is right on the corner of Country Hills Boulevard NW and Royal Birch Boulevard NW. You can find our office on the 2nd floor in the same building as the Starbucks and TD Canada Trust Bank. If you’re having trouble finding us, please give us a call!
- #240 8730 Country Hills Blvd. NW
- Royal Oak, NW Calgary, AB T3G0E2
- Phone: 403-272-9836
- Fax: 587-287-0466
- Email: [email protected]
Our Office Hours
- Monday: Closed
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed